Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pesto making with the Peanut

One of the amazing things we discovered shortly after moving to the Pacific NW is pesto. Us Tucson, AZ folks don't do much with basil and I didn't know a pine nut existed until I moved north. We buy basil often for sauces and caprese salad, and I love using the leftover leaves to make pesto.

Today, Ava decided to join me in the pesto making process. Ava loves herself some pesto, and quite enjoyed our food craft today. 

Below are pics of our journey from Basil to Pesto:

First we must don the apron

Mama put the basil in whole, so why don't I just throw the garlic cloves in whole as well?

Next are the nuts (I use sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts)

And now some for me

Taking a cheese snack break while Mama finishes with the lemons, oils, and starts the whirring

MMMMM, grated cheese, nummy nummy

First bite of the finished product

It took twice as long to make and twice as long to clean up, but we had twice as much fun than we have before! I see many more cooking sessions in our future.

2 comments:

Sara said...

such a cute final picture, even if the direct ingestion of that much pesto makes me kind of throw up in my mouth a little

Mona said...

HA! I promise not to feed her a ton of pesto before you watch her for me on Thursday. Her poops are frequent and like little green crime scenes each time.