Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mother of the year nominee-music choices

So, being married to a musician, I feel like all music is good music. I grew up listening to classic country with my Dad and Elvis with my mom, went through the requisite Emo high school phase with The Cure and the Smiths, moved to Grunge with Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, had a "womens movement phase" where I would only listen to female musicians, then got placed in five years of lullaby and raffi and kids music purgatory, with a few bright lights of Raconteurs, White Stripes, and Jason Mraz.

Now adays, I listen to anything fun and catchy on the radio, sprinkled heavily with the Disney princess songbook.


I learned last evening, however, that I may have to monitor my music more.


Ava and I were relaxing out at her playset talking and watching Flower sniff the backyard. I heard Ava singing something quietly to herself. It sounded really pretty, so I asked her what she was singing.

She begins to belt "The boys round here, drinking their ASS cold beer, talking bout girls, talking bout trucks, running on a big dirt road and kicking mom's butt"

So, obviously not the lyrics but still, I didn't realize how heavy the rotation of this Blake Shelton Redneck Song was on in the car.


I shouldn't mention that she belts "Sugar Daddy I'm coming for you" when she sings her favorite car song "Hello Heels" (thank goodness she doesn't realize it is Hell on Heels)

I also shouldn't mention how cute she looks when she is rocking out banging her head listening to the Foo Fighters "One of these Days" (Totally about dying, but with a really great melody)


Oh, and by the fault of Radio Disney, she now is in love with and knows the dance moves to Selena Gomez "It you are ready, come and get it"

Yep, mama of the year.