Friday, May 3, 2013

Titles

In my professional career, I held many titles. I was a leasing agent, asst. manager, manager, Admin Asst., Customer Service Rep, Customer Service Supervisor, Service Center Manager, Facilities Service Center Manager, Vendor Services Manager, National Manager, Facilities Services, National Account Program Manager, etc.  I really thought they meant something at the time. The title defined me and gave me a benchmark of what I thought was a goal towards success.

When Ava was born, all the titles went away and I became a Mother. Now, 4.5 years later, I hear this title in varied forms throughout the day-- "Mom, Mommy, Mama, MOMMMMMMMMMM, hey mama?, mommomommymommymommy, MOM", etc. I hear it about 750 times per day, and sometimes 200 of those times are all in succession.

Weirdly, I am not defined by this title. Instead, I wear this title like a badge of honor. I no longer need to reach for an unattainable goal. I have found where I need to be and am happy here. In fact, even after 4 years of hearing my title, I still get a small little heart squeeze when I hear my sleepy sweetie call for me in the middle of the night, or when she is asking a question and says, "what do you think, Mama?" I never thought I would love a title as much as this one.

Eventually, when Ava goes to school, I will go back to work part or full time and have a different title added to a business card. It won't matter though, since I know that the title I hold for life is the most important of them all.

First time I ever saw my sweet Ava

1 comment:

Sara said...

What sweet and meaningful words. I am so happy you wear the title of Mama as I can think of no better person to do so!