Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lost in Translation

When I was younger and enjoyed "nakee time", I remember my Mom or Dad would wrap it up by saying "Put your clothes on Ethel!" This, I believe, is from an old song named "They call him the Streak".

I have taken to saying this to Ava recently and for a while she thought it was fine. Then one day, she said, "that wasn't nice mommy". I said "oh I am just saying a song lyric, but I won't do it anymore".

Yesterday, I said it twice, forgetting that I had promised not to. Ava came up to me and said "Mommy, when you call me an ASSHOLE for not putting on my clothes, it makes me feel sad"

I was simultaneously horrified and totally amused. Poor baby thought that I have been saying "Put your clothes on Asshole" this whole time.

We walked through the difference between Ethel/asshole, and I vowed never to say again.

It was both a parenting fail and the funniest dang thing in the world.


2 comments:

Cora L.A.I. said...

that is one of the most amazing stories EVER... -the end-

EmmaLouWho said...

HA!